Local Contacts for more Information
For more information on fighting leafy spurge in your area contact your respective local state, county or APHIS official.
USDA-APHIS | Manitoba | Montana
North Dakota:(Counties A-L) (Counties M-W & Cities)
South Dakota | Wyoming
Or contact one of the sources below for specific information:
The following web sites provide good information
and links to other informational sites.
- TEAM Leafy Spurge for information on biological control, Integrated Pest Management and related topics. The site also features an extensive listing of other informational sources and web sites.
- Montana Weed Control Association has a wealth of information on noxious weeds.
- Wyoming Weed & Pest Council has information on weeds and WY weed and pest districts.
- North Dakota Weed Control Association has information on weeds and ND weed boards.
- APHIS Noxious Weeds Home Page for general information on noxious weeds and APHIS programs.
- NDSU-Hettinger Research Extension Center for information on multispecies grazing, sheep and range health.
- NDSU-Dept. of Agricultural Economics for information on the socioeconomic impacts of leafy spurge, the economics of integrating sheep and cattle, and the feasibility of sheep cooperatives.
- NDSU Extension Service features a wealth of information. Extension Service bulletins with pertinent information can be found in the agricultural economics, animal science, entomology, plant science and water quality sections of the directory.
- North Central Weed Science Society is a society comprised of industry and academia professionals in the field of Weed Science. It includes the 12 north central states and central provinces of Canada are included and is part of the larger Weed Science Society of America.
- North American Weed Management Association The mission of NAWMA is to provide education, regulatory direction, professional improvement, and environmental awareness to preserve and protect our natural resources from the degrading impacts of exotic, invasive noxious weeds.
- Montana War on Weeds is a user friendly, how-to, information, link and picture-packed site are dedicated to Integrated Pest (Weed) Management.
- Exotic plants bibliography This annotated bibliography contains references on control of invasive exotic plant species that occur in the Great Plains.
- Montana Department of Agriculture for
online access to a wide range of information related to agriculture.
- North Dakota Department of Agriculture
for up to date news on service and programs.
- Wyoming Department of Agriculture
for assistance to promote and preserve the agriculture community.
- South Dakota Department of
Agriculture for agriculture development and services
TEAM Leafy Spurge
- Gerry Anderson, co-principal investigator
(406/433-9416; email@example.com), USDA-ARS Northern
Plains Agricultural Research Laboratory, 1500 N.
Central Ave., Sidney MT 59270;
- Chad Prosser, program coordinator (701/623-4730;
Roosevelt National Park, 3145 2nd Ave., Medora ND 58645;
- Lloyd Wendel, co-principal
investigator, USDA-APHIS PPQ/Mission
Plant Protection Center, Moore Air Force Base,
Building S6414, Mission TX 78572 (956/580-7301;
Biological Control - Obtaining Insects
- Montana - USDA/APHIS/PPQ, 1220 Cole Ave., Helena, MT, 59601(406-449-5210; 406-449-5212); Jerry Marks,
Montana State University Extension Service, 126
West Spruce St., Missoula MT 59802-4204 (406/829-4204; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- North Dakota - USDA-APHIS, 3509 Miriam
Ave./Suite A, Bismarck ND 58501 (701/250-4473);
Dave Nelson, state entomologist, North Dakota Dept.
of Agriculture, 600 E. Boulevard/6th Floor, Captial
Building, Bismarck ND 58505 (701/328-4765; email@example.com).
- South Dakota - USDA-APHIS PPQ, PO Box
250, Pierre SD 57501 (605/224-1713); Ron Moehring,
weed pest supervisor, South Dakota Dept. of
Agriculture, 523 E. Capital, Pierre 57501 (605/773-3796; firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Wyoming - USDA-APHIS PPQ, 504 W. 17th St.,
Cheyenne WY 82001 (307/772-2323); Lars Baker,
Fremont County Weed & Pest, County Courthouse/
Room 315, Lander WY 82520 (307/332-1052).
- Rod Lym, North Dakota State University/Dept.
of Plant Science, Loftgard Hall 4740, Fargo ND 58105
- Leon Wrage, South Dakota State University
Extension Service, Ag Hall/Box 2207A, Brookings SD
- Tim Faller, North Dakota State University/Hettinger Research Extension Center, Box
Hettinger ND 58639 (701/567-3423;
- Don Kirby, North Dakota State University/Dept.
of Animal & Range Science, Hultz Hall, Fargo ND
58105 (701/231-7658; email@example.com).
- Jack Butler, Research Ecologist,
USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research
Station, Rapid City, SD 57702, (605/394-2670;
General Weed Control
- Roger Sheley, noxious weed specialist, Montana State University
Extension Service, Leon Johnson Hall, Bozeman MT 59717 (406/994-5686;
- Ken Eraas, noxious weed
specialist, North Dakota Dept. of
Agriculture, 600 E. Boulevard Ave./Dept. 602,
Bismarck ND 58505-0020 (701/328-2980;